Cavallino Bianco: the history
How this corner of paradise came about...
The story of Cavallino Bianco – family spa Grand Hotel started off as a farmstead in the mountains situated in the centre of Ortisei/Val Gardena. The first document that nominates it with the name “Gilardon” dates back to the year 1448.
For many centuries the farmstead was an important reference and rest point for passersby. Towards the eighth century a house was added to the farmstead which during the times of the Augsburg Empire became the premises for the local post office. It was during these years that the name “Albergo della Posta” was born.
The only form of transport which connected the Val Gardena with the rest of the empire was a horse drawn stage coach which left from the hotel, the nerve centre of the entire network of the valleys. Twice a day the stage coach made its way to Chiusa and Ponte Gardena to transport mail, goods, luggage and the first tourists.
In 1800, the owner of the hotel was known to be a certain Mr Welponer who in 1870 sold it to the Lardschneider family. In this period, lovers of the mountainside discovered Val Gardena as a tourist area - suitable especially for excursions and rock climbing on the Dolomites. The hotel became expanded and took the German name “Postgasthof Weisses Rossl” (meaning White Horse Post). It was the English who discovered the beauty of the mountains and between them held rock climbing races, with prizes being the summits of the Dolomites. Many associations moved their own offices to this fascinating central hotel with its well cared for cuisine since the start.
In 1939 the Lardschneider family, for political reasons, it was the year of the ethnic options in South Tyrol, chose to emigrate. From that year the National Board “Tre Venezie” bought the property until 1958, the year in which the Obletter family of Leo Obletter from “Juaut”, then a producer and salesman of wooden items, bought this large hotel structure, by now somewhat run down.
With great determination, self denial and sacrifices, Mr Leo Obletter together with his wife Theresia and their children Lea, Sibilia and Otto, in just a few years, managed to transform this old structure into a functional hotel corresponding to many of the modern needs.
In 1980 the solely owned company was transformed into a share hold company.
In 1993 the Obletter family, being the holder of the entire share parcel, decided to hand over the administration of the hotel company to Ralph A. Riffeser, known for his capabilities and professionalism, as well as being passionate about hotel activity, following in the steps of his maternal grandfather Mr Leo Obletter.
After a couple of years of study and projects, during the period from March 2001 and May 2002, the well known Hotel Posta Cavallino Bianco underwent a radical qualitative expansion including:
- 89 new and comfortable rooms and family suites
- A children’s world
- A theatre
- A pool centre with sauna and beauty centre over 2500m².
- A covered garage for 1500 cars
- Many other beautiful and innovative surprises
During the year 2005, a further 15 new suites were added, 4 themed restaurants, a new kitchen and last but not least, the new children’s world over 100m².
The project which took place in 2013 regarded the areas for children and the wellness area.
The impressive investment has made Cavallino Bianco even more wonderful, raising it to the height of hotel tradition
- New family Play Room, for play as a family
- New Teenies Room, for fun for teenagers
- Generous expansion of Baby Lino with the introduction of new playhouses, games and ball pond.
- New fitness centre with panoramic view and garden for meditation
- Giant outdoor heated pool 192m²
- Blue grotto with mosaic face and pleasant Jacuzzi (35m²)
- Family lagoon with triple lane slide (136m2) and baby pool (36m²)
- Restyling of the main pool in naturalistic style
- Relaxation area with water beds and charming central fireplace
- Family sauna
- Relaxation area near the refuge sauna
The hotel underwent it’s last transformation in 2016 when 88 Suites have been completely transformed in order to better respond to the new needs of the parents. The project was designed by NOA.
Being in 3 or in 8, it makes no difference. The new rooms meet the needs of all families with a new style featured with light colored wood, white marble and color cream for an even more elegant and exclusive environment.